Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
I found these in a TOH and they instantly became a family classic! They are soft with a gooey center and the flavor is amazing! They are my DH's favorite as well as mine...it's not Christmas without these! (you will want to double this recipe!)
- 118.29 ml butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 29.58 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml flour
- 78.07 ml baking cocoa
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml chopped pecans
- 12-14 caramel candies
- 44.37 ml heavy whipping cream
- 118.29 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4.92 ml shortening
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, and milk.
- Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; add to creamed mixture.Refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Beat egg white.Dip balls into egg white and roll in the nuts.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Make a 3/8 - 1/2 inch indentation in the center of each ball with the end of a wooden spoon (or your thumb!).
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Remove to cool on wire racks.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat; stir until smooth.
- Using 1/2 tsp caramel mixture, fill each cookie.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in microwave; drizzle over cookies.
I made these last Christmas too! Everyone commented about them. I totally agree about doubling the recipe. They are definitely not a cookie-tin type cookie, though. They would not ship well; as if there would be any left to give as gifts. ;-)