Recipe by Rachie P
I found these in a TOH and they instantly became a family classic! They are soft with a gooey center and the flavor is amazing! They are my DH's favorite as well as mine...it's not Christmas without these! (you will want to double this recipe!)
Top Review by Kit_Kat
I made these last Christmas too! Everyone commented about them. I totally agree about doubling the recipe. They are definitely not a cookie-tin type cookie, though. They would not ship well; as if there would be any left to give as gifts. ;-)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 -14 caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, and milk.
- Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; add to creamed mixture.Refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Beat egg white.Dip balls into egg white and roll in the nuts.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Make a 3/8 - 1/2 inch indentation in the center of each ball with the end of a wooden spoon (or your thumb!).
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Remove to cool on wire racks.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat; stir until smooth.
- Using 1/2 tsp caramel mixture, fill each cookie.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in microwave; drizzle over cookies.