Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
No way to resist! These are wonderfully rich! A crunchy base with a creamy caramel filling topped off with not one but 2 kinds of chocolate...Yum!
- 1⁄3 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 ounces quality dark chocolate chips
- 1 ounce quality white chocolate chips
- Add all ingredients for crust, except butter, in a mixing bowl.
- With pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press the mixture into an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 25 minutes or until just golden and firm.
- Cool in the pan.
- Place ingredients for caramel filling in saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil over low heat and boil very gently for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Pour the caramel filling over cookie base and allow to set.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips and spread over the caramel, allow to cool and set.
- When dark chocolate is set, melt the white chocolate and drizzle over top.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.
- DH suggested to use a pizza cutter to cut bar cookies and it works like a charm.
While I'm sure these will get eaten, they were not what I was hoping for at all. In Australia choc caramel slice should have a nice firm but not crumbly sweet base, thick layer of caramel that holds together when cut and the layers shouldn't seperate. This is very nice with ice cream, it may just be personal taste that I'm used to it a different way! A very easy slice to make.
Good bars which we enjoyed. For some reason my layers (bottom from top) seperated a bit on some of the bars, but I may have done something wrong when I made these or allowed them to set too long without refrigeration. Thanks for sharing.