Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Pillsbury Bake-Off 1988. Yum!
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (from 15 oz. pkg.)
- 24 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 ounce grated sweet baking chocolate, reserving 2 T
- 1 cup white vanilla chip
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Heat oven to 450. Prepare pie crust according to pkg. directions for one-crust baked shell using 9 inch pie pan. Bake at 450 for 8 to 9 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in heavy saucepan, combine caramels and water. Cook over low heat until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and walnuts; blend well. Pour into baked shell. Reduce heat to 350. Immediately return to oven. Bake an additional 30-40 minutes or until edges of filling are set. Cool 15 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate over pie. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- In small heavy saucepan, combine white vanilla chips and milk. Cook over low heat until chips are melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool. In small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in melted chip mixture.
- Spread over cooled filling. Sprinkle with 2 T. resevred chocolate. Refrigerate until serving time. Store in refrigerator.