Recipe by Az B
A delicious treat from Anna magazine. It's very rich, so keep the serving sizes small. I found the caramel to be pretty runny, so you may want to add a bit less water. Also, keep it chilled if you can. The prep time includes time for cooling before assembly.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup pecan halves, roaste
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- MIx flour, salt, icing sugar and cocoa in bowl of food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add egg and pulse to combine.
- Add melted chocolate and process until dough comes together.
- Form into ball, wrap in plastic and chill in fridge for 30 minutes. If chilled for longer, let warm slighltly before trying to roll.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4 inch. Line 8" or 9" tart pan with pastry.
- Pierce the base with a fork several times and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Line pastry with parchment paper and fill pie shell with pie weights. Bake for 10 mintues. Remove the pie weights and continue to bake for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place sugar, cream of tartar and water in a saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a rolling boil, whisking frequently, until sugar turns a golden amber colour.
- Slowly drizzle in cream, stirring contstantly, until smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl to cool.
- In saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add chocolate and let sit for 1 minute.
- Stir until smooth. Transfer to bowl and allow to cool.
- Laker baked cooled pastry with caramel, pecans, and finally the ganache.
- Chill to set.