Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
This dessert is absolutely decadent! Because it is so sweet, I only make it for occasions such as Valentine's Day when you want to spoil your loved one. This recipe came from the test kitchens of Robin Hood Multifoods.
- 1 package caramel (about 75 to a package)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely choppped toasted pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the caramels, sweetened condensed milk and butter.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until melted and smooth.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil and chocolate in a large saucepan or microwave in a large microwavable bowl at medium for 2 minutes or until melted.
- Add the water, sugar, eggs, flour, salt, baking soda and vanilla to the chocolate mixture.
- Beat with a fork until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Spread half the batter into a greased 13" x 9" cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove from the oven.
- Spoon the caramel mixture evenly over the cake.
- Spread the remaining batter evenly over the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Return to the oven and bake 40 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool completely before cutting.