Prep 2 hrs 5 mins
Cook 32 mins
These are to die for! Now that I've got nut allergies to deal with in my household, I make these without the nuts and with extra crumb mixture (1 1/2 times the crumb mix), but the nuts are really good to cut the sweetness. The recipe is originally from a land-o-lakes pamphlet. Part of prep time is cool time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels, unwrapped (48 caramels)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all crumb ingredients in a large bowl, stopping after adding the salt. Beat at medium speed until mixture is crumbly (about 3 minutes). Reserve 1 cup of crumb mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of a 13x9 inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and caramels in a saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is creamy.
- Sprinkle partially baked crust with 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Pour caramel mixture evenly over chips and nuts. Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture and pat lightly.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until caramel is bubbly around the edges.
- Cool completely. Melt the remaining cup of chocolate chips and spread over the top. Sprinkle with remaining nuts and pat lightly.
- When chocolate hardens, cut into bars.
These were amazing! But, of course, I did make a few changes. I used an 8x11 pan so they would be thicker. And I added 1/2c of white chocolate chips to the melted layer of chocolate chips. I also didn't add the top layer of chocolate they were already rich enough with 1 1/2c of chips. I completely omitted the nuts because I hate them. Will make again...Thank you for a wonderful recipe!
These are delicious!I had caramels left over from Halloween so this is where they went.I only made one layer of the nuts/chocolate combo,just doubled them up.Then I had the reserved crumb mixture for the top.I added a tsp of vanilla to the caramel/milk mixture.I may use a 7 x 11 pan next time for a higher bar as opposed to a flat one that this recipe makes.
YUMMY! Do cut these into small portions as they are rich. I think I'll refrigerate these before I cut them next time so they are firmer. I'll be making these again. Made for the *Recipe Swap 14* game 2008 in the Aussie/NZ forum. Our group was *The Kumara Kids* Group 28