Prep2 hrs 5 mins
These are to die for! Now that I've got nut allergies to deal with in my household, I make these without the nuts and with extra crumb mixture (1 1/2 times the crumb mix), but the nuts are really good to cut the sweetness. The recipe is originally from a land-o-lakes pamphlet. Part of prep time is cool time.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all crumb ingredients in a large bowl, stopping after adding the salt. Beat at medium speed until mixture is crumbly (about 3 minutes). Reserve 1 cup of crumb mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of a 13x9 inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and caramels in a saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is creamy.
- Sprinkle partially baked crust with 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Pour caramel mixture evenly over chips and nuts. Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture and pat lightly.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until caramel is bubbly around the edges.
- Cool completely. Melt the remaining cup of chocolate chips and spread over the top. Sprinkle with remaining nuts and pat lightly.
- When chocolate hardens, cut into bars.