Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe on another recipe website last year, but I can't remember which one. I gave these out for Christmas and everyone loved them. I used to buy popcorn from my Son when he was in school and they would be selling different flavors of popcorn to raise money for their school. They would sell Caramel Popcorn, Chocolate Popcorn similar to this recipe, Caramel Popcorn with nuts, the possibilities are endless. The popcorn came in a plastic bag in decorative tins with tight lids. Definately a great gift idea or part of a fund raiser for any occassion.
- 24 cups popped popcorn
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 6 tablespoons stick butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Spread popcorn in 2 large, deep roasting pans.
- Bring sugar, corn syrups and water to boil in 4-quart saucepan. Add butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer registers 300 degrees F to 310 degrees F. When mixture forms hard, brittle threads, it's ready. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in salt, baking soda and vanilla extract. Because the candy is very hot, the vanilla extract will spatter and the mixture will foam. Pour over popcorn and stir to coat.
- Let cool. Store airtight.
- Up to 2 days before giving, break up large chunks, spread coated popcorn on two cookie sheets.
- Melt chocolate chips according to package directions. Drizzle over popcorn and, before chocolate hardens, sprinkle with almonds. Let stand at room temperature until chocolate hardens.
- Store airtight.