Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, sifted
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- First prepare chocolate pastry cream.
- Set out a large bowl of ice water and a smaller bowl.
- In a stainless steel pot, bring the milk to a boil.
- Whisk together the yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a mixing bowl.
- Add a small quantity of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously.
- Continue adding milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Boil the mixture, whisking constantly, for one to two minutes.
- Stir in the chocolate, then remove from heat and scrape the pastry cream into the smaller bowl.
- Place the small bowl into the ice water bath.
- Stir frequently to keep the cream smooth.
- Cool to 140 degrees.
- Remove the cream from the ice bath and stir in the butter, in three or four additions.
- Return the bowl to the ice bath and continue to stir occasionally until the cream is completely cool.
- Whip heavy cream until it holds medium peaks, then gently fold into the prepared pastry cream.
- Place the pastry cream into a pastry bag fitted with a round tip.
- Cut the puff pastry into 15 rectangular pieces.
- Place them on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Turn convection oven to 375 degrees.
- Dust the tops of the pastry rectangles with granulated sugar.
- Bake for eight to ten minutes.
- Turn pan around and bake for another eight to ten minutes.
- Remove pastry from oven, then gently invert pan onto another parchment-line sheet pan.
- Sift powdered sugar on the unbrowned side of the pastry.
- Bake for another five minutes, until the sugar is smooth, shiny and caramelized.
- Watch carefully during this phase so pastry does not burn.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Split pastries rectangles and pipe pastry cream onto bottom layer, then replace with the top.
- Dust plates with cocoa powder and serve.