Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This very easy and light Chocolate Cake wins hands down over any of the packet varieties - yet takes little more time. The Caramel Filling is so easy and transforms the cake into a real Gateau! Great for a special occasion.
- 100 g butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- powdered sugar
- Place the butter, golden syrup, water, sugar, cocoa and baking soda in a bowl and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Stir and leave to stand for 6 minutes.
- Add the flour, baking powder and egg.
- Blend for about 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth.
- The consistency should be like that of batter.
- Pour mixture into a ring mould lined with plastic wrap.
- 'Tap'on the bench to expel any air.
- Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes before tipping out.
- CARAMEL FILLING: Empty 1 tin of sweetened condensed milk into bowl and microwave for 6 minutes- stirring well every minute until the mixture forms a golden caramel.
- When the cake is cool, slice in half (an electric knife comes in very handy here!), and spread liberally with the caramel.
- Sift icing sugar (confectioners' sugar) over the top.
- If preferred ice with'CHOCOLATE GANACHE'!
- Break 250g of dark chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl with 1/3 cup cream.
- Cook on MED for 1 minute only.
- Stir until smooth.
- DO NOT OVERHEAT.