Recipe by ~Leanne~
I got this recipe from my mom's old cookbook. I am sure it was something my grandma used to make. I will be making these for my Christmas baking trays.
Top Review by Lori Ann D
I've been making this recipe for several years and it is AWESOME! The slight differences in my recipe are (1) use a GREASED pan, (2) use milk instead of water, (3) use 1.5 cups brown sugar, (4) 1 t. soda and (5) 1/2 t. salt. (Sometimes I also add 1 cup chopped walnuts with the chocolate chips.) Cut while warm and store in a tightly closed container. Thanks for posting this family favorite!!
- 1 (14 ounce) package Kraft caramels (about 48 caramels)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup melted margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat caramels and water over low heat, stirring often until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, margarine, baking soda and salt. Reserve 1 cup for the topping. Press remaining ingredients into a ungreased 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked layer, drizzle with caramel mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining reserved mixture on top. Bake until lightly brown about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly; cut into 2x1-inch bars.