Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a candy square similar to certain name brand cookie candy bars. that you will find on every dainty tray in my home town. A very popular dainty that is so hard to resist
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate (or 3 squares)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- cream butter and sugar. mix in flour.
- Press into 8" square pan.
- Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes ( until light in color).
- Mix filling ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes over low heat, stirring.
- Beat and pour over base.
- When cool melt together butter and chocolate and pour glaze over square.
What a terrific tasting square to add to my Christmas tray. The baking was sampled and it was "you better hide them" Only thing I would change is next time around I will make two! Thank you Dotty for another of your recipes that is a winner at our house. We have a Carol Festival tonight so I didn't hide them all - made up a special tray to enjoy when we get back from the Festival, and enjoy we will!
These were fantastic! I made one batch with butter and one with margarine and needless to say, the butter batch came out much better!