Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was published in the Dallas Morning News as one of the winners of their holiday cookie contest. Prep time includes refrigeration time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9-inch-square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang. Butter the paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 9 T. butter and the brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the flour and 1/4 teaspoons salt, and beat until just combined. Press the dough evenly in the pan and bakc until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Place the chopped chocolate in another bowl.
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high head until it turns amber in color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add 6 T. butter, the cream, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Pour the mixture over the chopped chocolate. Let it stand for 2 minutes, then stir to combine and let it stand 10 minutes longer.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the crust and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Lift the parchment paper to remove the whole bar from the pan.
- Sprinkle with the sea salt, then trim edges and cut into 24 bars. The mixture may be sticky; wipe the knife often while cutting.
- Can be stored, refrigerated, for up to three days.