Recipe by Cream Puff
OHHH SOOOO GOOOD! I got this recipe out of a BHG "Hometown Cooking" cook booklet. To crush the wafers for the crust, you can process them in a food processor or place in a plastic bag and roll a rolling pin over the bag.
Top Review by hardcast_10227877
This cheesecake is marvelous. There is something magical about the crust. I thank you for putting this on food.com, and telling that you found it at BHG. I had lost my recipe, and you saved me!
- 2 cups vanilla wafers, crushed (about 50 wafers)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 (14 ounce) package vanilla caramels
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate piece, melted and slightly cooled
- whipped cream (for garnish)
- pecans, chopped (for garnish)
- semisweet chocolate, melted and (for garnish) or chocolate curls (for garnish)
- caramel ice cream topping (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For crust, combine crushed vanilla wafers and melted butter. Press mixture onto the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, combine caramels and evaporated milk. Cook and stir over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth. Pour over prepared crust. Sprinkle with the 1 cup of pecans. Chill in refrigerator while preparing filling.
- For filling, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add eggs, beating on low speed just until combined (do not overbeat); stir in melted chocolate. Pour over caramel-nut layer in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 40 minutes or until center appears nearly set when shaken. Cool cheesecake in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen from side of springform pan; cool completely on wire rack. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Let cheesecake stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. Garnish each serving with whipped cream, additional chopped nuts, melted chocolate and/or chocolate curls, and caramel topping.