I found this recipe in the Pillsbury Fall Baking booklet that I picked up at the grocery store in the checkout aisle. "As with many brownie recipes, doneness is difficult to describe. The topping will feel soft when gently tapped, but the edges will be set and the top will look dry. Try making these bars with hot fudge topping instead of the hot caramel topping next time."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE BASE
- 78.07 ml butter or 78.07 ml margarine
- 56.69 g bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 78.07 ml brown sugar, packed
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 14.79 ml milk
FOR THE FILLING AND TOPPING
- 59.14 ml caramel topping
- 6 caramels, unwrapped, cut into quarters
- 78.07 ml cashews, pieces
- 45.92 g milk chocolate candy bars, broken into pieces
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter and bittersweet chocolate uncovered on Medium 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Microwave 30 seconds longer or until butter and chocolate are melted and can be stirred smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
- 2In medium bowl, stir together flour, sugars and baking soda. Stir in egg, milk and cooled chocolate mixture until well blended.
- 3In ungreased 8-inch square pan, press half of dough. Bake 8 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, cook caramel topping and caramels over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until caramels are melted.
- 5Remove pan from oven. Carefully pour caramel mixture over partially baked base to within 1/2 inch of sides of pan. Sprinkle with cashews. Crumble remaining dough into small pieces and sprinkle over filling (some of filling will show). Bake 12 to 15 minutes longer or just until edges are set (do not overbake).
- 6In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate candy bar pieces uncovered on High 30 seconds or until melted. Drizzle chocolate diagonally over baked bars. Cool completely, at least 1 hour. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Caramel-Cashew Bars
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.2
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 101.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bittersweet baking chocolate