Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Chocolate and caramel is my son's favorite of flavor combinations. This cake was a special way to make a birthday cake for him. I served it with vanilla ice cream on the side while the cake was still warm. It is good after it has cooled to also top with a dusting of confectioner's sugar or just plain too but our favorite way is to always have it a bit warm. Found this gem in "A Chocolate Christmas" cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a 9x13" baking pan.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together using a whisk.
- In a large mixing bowl, on low speed combine the buttermilk, sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla and the flour mixture until blended.
- Beat on high speed, scraping sides of bowl occasionally, for an additional l3 minutes.
- Pour half of the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the caramels and sweetened condensed milk together.
- After the first baking time, spread the caramel mixture over the warm cake. Put the remaining batter on top of the caramel and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Serve warmed is best in my opinion topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.