Prep 25 mins
Cook 28 mins
My sweet tooth is just dying to taste these! From Betty Crocker Super Moist Party Cakes
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 (14 ounce) bag vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 F (or 325 F if using dark or nonstick pan). Generously grease bottom and sides of 13x9 inch pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, butter,and egg with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed.
- Stir in oats until crumbly (may need to use hands to mix dough).
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups cake mixture. Press remaining mixture in pan. (use plastic wrap or waxed paper if mixture is too sticky).
- In heavy 2 quart saucepan, heat caramels and milk over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted.
- Pour over chocolate layer in pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans.
- Sprinkle reserved cake mixture on top.
- Bake 22 to 28 minutes or until caramel bubbles along edges and cake mixture on top appears crisp and dry.
- Run knife around sides of pan to loosen bars.
- Cool completely.