Recipe by Shelby Jo
This is a recipe from Light & Tasty Magazine Feb/Mar. 2008. Originally submitted by Mary Bilyeu of Ann Arbor, MI.
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the egg white, ricotta cheese, sugar, coffee, and orange peel. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the first 8 batter ingredients. Beat until well blended. Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Transfer to a 13x9 inches baking dish coated with cooking spary. Top with heaping tablespoons of ricotta mixture; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate any leftovers.