Recipe by Steve P.
A simple and easy to make, yet quite elegant. A very rich and decadent Christmas dessert!
Top Review by Julia Lynn
Well I wouldn't say this pie is easy or simple to make but it did taste good. I think if I made it again I would also add a touch of peppermint extract to the candy cane layer to up that flavor a bit. It was kind of difficult getting the candycanes in powder form. I didn't know whether to get semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips so we went with regular semi-sweet but I think next time I would use milk chocolate. That being said, the pie is beautiful and would make a wonderful ending to any holiday meal. Thank you for sharing. I took a picture and as soon as food.com cooperates I will upload it!
Chocolate Crumb Crust
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (60 wafers or an 8 oz box minus 1/4 c)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream (Note, when you purchase the cream remember you will need additional cream for the topping.)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream (1/2 pint)
- 1⁄2 cup finely crushed candy cane (7 regular canes)
- sweetened whipped cream, for toping
Directions See How It's Made
- Chocolate Crumb Crust: Combine crumbs, cocoa and sugar in a bowl.
- Stir in butter.
- Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of a 9" pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 min.
- Chocolate Layer: Bring water to a boil in med mixing bowl.
- Remove from heat; immediately add chips, stirring until melted (return to very low heat, stirring constantly, if needed).
- Cool to room temperature.
- In large mixing bowl (which has been chilled, along with beaters), whip heavy cream with confectioners sugar until stiff; fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into crust; chill.
- Peppermint Layer: Break candy canes into chunks; blend until finely crushed (resembles powder).
- Combine marshmallows and milk in wok.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until marshmallows are melted.
- Cool to slightly warm or glops.
- Prepare bowl as before, whip heavy cream until stiff; fold in crushed candy.
- Stir gently into marshmallow mixture; chill 10 min.
- Spoon onto chocolate layer; chill until set.
- Freeze, if desired.
- Top with Sweetened whipped cream.
- Garnish with Peppermint chips or coarsely crushed candy canes just before serving.
- May be served chilled or frozen.