Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My mom always made this pie at Christmas using crushed candy canes. She has never told my dad that this pie contains raw eggs. On that note, I've always dunked raw eggs into boiling water for about fifteen seconds before I break them. I read somewhere that that will kill salmonella on the shell, but use your own best judgement in this regard. I'm sure an equivalent amount of pasteurized egg product would work too, I've just never tried it.
- 56.69 g unsweetened baking chocolate
- 78.07 ml chocolate chips
- 158.51 ml butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 118.29 ml well crushed peppermint candy, separated
- 9 inch graham cracker crust
- 118.29 ml cream
- Melt unsweetened chocolate and chocolate chips together. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Gradually beat in eggs, then beat in melted chocolate and fold in 1/3 cup peppermint candy.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust and refrigerate 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Whip cream and spread over pie before serving, garnish with remaining crushed peppermint candies.