1/1 Photo of Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
1 hr 31 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Pink peppermint filling is sandwiched between homemade chocolate cookies then the sides are rolled in crushed candy canes. Prep included 1 hr chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1For cookies:.
- 2Whisk flour, cocoa, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended. Beat in egg. Add dry ingredients; beat until blended.
- 3Refrigerate dough 1 hour.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out dough by level tablespoonfuls, then roll into smooth balls. Place balls on prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- 5Using bottom of glass or hands, flatten each ball to 2-inch round (edges will crack). Bake until cookies no longer look wet and small indentation appears when tops of cookies are lightly touched with fingers, about 11 minutes (do not overbake or cookies will become too crisp).
- 6Cool on sheet 5 minutes. Transfer chocolate cookies to racks and cool completely.
- 7For filling:
- 8Using electric mixer, beat powdered sugar and butter in medium bowl until well blended.
- 9Add peppermint extract and 2 drops food coloring. Beat until light pink and well blended, adding more food coloring by dropfuls if darker pink color is desired. Spread some filling evenly over flat side of 1 cookie to edges; top with another cookie, flat side down, pressing gently to adhere.
- 10Repeat with remaining cookies and peppermint filling.
- 11Place crushed candy canes on plate. Roll edges of cookie sandwiches in crushed candies (candies will adhere to filling).
- 12(Cookie sandwiches can be made ahead. Store in single layer in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 weeks.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (55 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.1
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 51.0 mg
- Sodium 39.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: