2 hrs 45 mins
A Christmas Classic (yes, I know it's July when I'm posting). From Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces red food coloring (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- crushed peppermint candy
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar (can use up to 6 1/2 cups)
- 1Grease and flour two 9 x 1 1/2 inch round baking pans. (I always use a parchment paper liner, too, greased and floured).
- 2In a small mixing bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- 3Beat the shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed in a large mixing bowl for about 30 seconds until softened.
- 4Add the sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the shortening and beat until well combined.
- 5Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed after each addition. Beat in the food coloring on low speed.
- 6Alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- 7Stir together the baking soda and vinegar. Add to the batter, mixing until well combined.
- 8Pour batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes.
- 9Remove cake layers from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack (spray rack with non-stick cooking spray to prevent sticking).
- 10For Frosting:.
- 11In a large mixing bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups of powdered sugar until frosting reaches a spreading consistency.
- 12Place one layer on cake plate frost top. Place second layer on top and frost tops and sides with a thin "crumb coat". Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- 13Remove cake from refrigerator and frost with remaining frosting.
- 14Decorate cake top with crushed peppermint candies.
- 15Refrigerate cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Candy-Cane Cake
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.6
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 347.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 80.1 g
- Protein 6.0 g