Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I melded two recipes to create a recipe that finally makes me happy to give as gifts or eat some for myself. I made Nanaimo Bars (by my sister's request) for American Thanksgiving, but I brought these with me, also. When we left to return home this morning, 4 of the blossoms remained (but most of the Nanaimo Bars did). I guess that makes it a keeper. I used the Ninja to crush the candy canes. This makes an easy contribution to a cookie exchange because of the packaged sugar cookie mix.
- sugar cookie mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup candy cane, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 chocolate candies, Hershey's kisses candy cane flavor, approximately one bag, unwrapped
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling the cookies
- 1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, egg, flour, cocoa powder, candy canes, and vanilla until a soft (but crumbly) dough forms.
- 2. Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls. You may have to press the balls together. Roll the balls in granulated sugar to coat.
- 3. Place cookie balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Immediately press a kiss in the center of each cookie. Cool completely on a wire rack. Resist the temptation to touch the tip of the kisses for at least 3 hours. Even though the kisses look solid, they have partially melted and need to "set" back up.