This is adapted from Candied Orange Slices Dipped in Chocolate. They are a huge favorite of the office staff at my Christmas party. I shared the original recipe with them but some were intimidated by the directions. So here's the recipe for Mary.
- Wash the oranges, then cut them in half from stem to stern. (Do not peel!). Slice each half in 1/4 inch slices, discarding ends.
- In a medium saucepan, mix sugar and water. Heat sugar mixture over medium heat, bring sugar mixture to a boil.
- Add orange slices and carefully dunk them with a wooden spoon. (Do not stir!).
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Carefully dunk the floating slices occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Remove slices from pan and place on rack over a cookie pan.
- Turn oven on to warm, place oranges on middle rack, leave the oven door slightly open and leave them for several hours or overnight.
- Toss the dried slices in sugar.
- Pour chocolate chips in a microwave proof bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute Stir chips and return to the microwave for another 30 seconds. Repeat until all the chips are smoothly melted.
- Dip the slices in the chocolate and place them on waxed paper to dry.