Recipe by Southern Lady
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello off the Food Network. I haven't tried this but it has a 5 star rating from their users and it sounds so delicious
- 1⁄2 lb pizza dough, premade at your grocery store
- 2 (15 ounce) cartons whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup bittersweet chocolate, melted in microwave (or use double boiler)
- 3⁄4 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 egg whites, beaten until frothy
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Pizza Stone in 450 degree oven for at least 30 minutes.
- OR use a flat sided or upside down cookie sheet.
- Place Ricotta in a bowl, add one hand full of sugar and the vanilla and whisk well.
- Add in the melted chocolate, little by little.
- On a lightly floured peel or board, roll pizza dough out into two (2) 12" rounds about 1/4 thick.
- Spoon 1 cup of chocolate filling into center of each round.
- Place the remaining chopped chocolate on top.
- Brush to the edges of the dough with beaten egg white and fold each round in 1/2.
- Fold edges over as you would a pie crust and press to seal completely.
- Brush off excess flour from dough and brush with more egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Slide chocolate calzone onto preheated pizza stone or cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.