Prep 16 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the best chocolate cake and this frosting goes well with it. I like this cake as it contains no eggs and can be made with things I have on hand. The cake recipe is the Moosewood Cake and the frosting is a modified Hershey recipe. The original Moosewood Cake has 1/2 cup oil and no applesauce and I think it is better made with applesauce for half of the oil.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup cold water (or 1 cup water with 1 tbsp. instant coffee, dissolved) or 1 cup chilled brewed coffee (or 1 cup water with 1 tbsp. instant coffee, dissolved)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup butter (4 tbsp. butter flavored Crisco also works well) or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened (4 tbsp. butter flavored Crisco also works well)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk or 2 -3 tablespoons soymilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously oil an 8-inch square or round baking pan and dust with a little sifted cocoa or line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, applesauce water or coffee, and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well-blended and smooth.
- Add the vinegar and stir briefly; the baking soda will begin to react with the vinegar right away, leaving pale swirls in the batter.
- Without wasting any time, pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool for 20 minutes, then frost with frosting.
- For the frosting, combine powdered sugar, cocoa, butter and vanilla in large bowl; beat until combined.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoons instant coffee in 1 tablespoons milk and add to frosting.
- Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating to desired consistency.
- About 1-1/4 cups frosting.
- For Vegan use only soy milk and only a vegan [non dairy] margarine.