Recipe by Atomic Girl Cooks!
An old recipe of my mom's. How can you go wrong with dark chocolate cake and minty icing?
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, very soft
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons table cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- green food coloring
- chocolate sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir cocoa and hot water over heat until blended. Remove from heat and beat until smooth. Let cool.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 2/3 cup sugar, and instant coffee. Make a well in the centre and add oil, cooled cocoa mixture, and egg yolks. Beat until batter is smooth.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until foamy. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and beat until whites are very stiff. Fold into batter evenly.
- Bake in 8 x 8 square pan at 325 for 30 minutes.
- For the frosting, combine butter, icing sugar, cream, peppermint extract, and a couple of drops of green food colouring until smooth. Frost cooled cake and decorate with chocolate sprinkles.