Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy, Fast & Delicious ! You don't even need a mixer, I just use a whisk. What more needs to be said ?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (softened)
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in mixer bowl & mix well. Add eggs, milk, oil & vanilla & mix on low speed just until combined then slowly add hot water while mixing & stop when just combined. Pour batter evenly into greased & floured 9” cake pan & bake for around 30 to 35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- Combine cream cheese, butter, milk, vanilla & mix on medium speed until smooth. Add sugar a third of a cup at a time & continue to mix on medium speed until combined. Add cocoa & mix until combined & smooth.
- Cut the cake in half when cool & spread half the icing on the bottom cake in a thin layer & the other half on top of the cake also in a thin layer or don’t cut the cake & put all the icing on top.
delicious. i used dark cocoa and doubled the frosting recipe. frosting is fantastic! will make again and again. thanks for sharing.
The cocoa gives this one layer cake a really, really chocolatey flavor. I used 1/2 cup of boiling coffee instead of boiling water. It was easy and fast to put together.
I doubled the recipe to make a traditional layer cake. I just started baking from scratch. I had always used a box before. My husband was skeptical I could pull it off. He LOVED it. He even bragged to the women at work about how good it was. <br/><br/>I was wasn't sure the batter was correct since it was really thin, but it worked great. I think the addition of the boiling water at the end did something special. I just don't know what.