Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
A wonderful cake! It has no cholesterol and it's relatively low in fat - but still it's SO VERY TASTY!! And it's even better next day...
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour, sift
- 158.51 ml unsweetened cocoa powder, sift
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml guar gum (optional) or 4.92 ml xanthan gum (optional)
- 236.59 ml raw sugar or 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml liquid stevia (or 1 more cup of sugar)
- 354.88 ml soymilk
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 9.85 ml instant coffee powder
- 29.58 ml boiling water
- 44.37 ml oil
- 22.18 ml white vinegar
- 414.03 ml desiccated coconut
- 414.03 ml raw sugar
- 354.88 ml soymilk
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92-9.85 ml finely grated lemon rind (optional)
- 56.69 g almonds, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a big bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, soda, salt and guar gum (if using).
- In another bowl combine sugar, soy milk, vanilla. Dissolve coffee powder in 2 tbsp boiling water, and add. Mix in oil. Stir to blend.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Mix well.
- Quickly stir in vinegar and transfer to a non-stick (or greased) baking pan (9"x13").
- Bake 20-22 minutes.
- Then make the coconut toppping: combine all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, stirring constantly 1-2 minutes.
- Pour over the cake and bake additionally 5 minutes, or until coconut mixture starts to bubble a lot.
- Let cool before serving.
i just made the coconut topping, and i cooked it until it was frosting like a stew and it was delicious! non-vegans enjoyed
The "bake 20 to 22" instruction is misleading as all ovens are not created equal. In my case, after 22 minutes, the batter was still quite liquid. The pooring of the coconot topping over it created a bubbly, ugly mess. Instead of "bake 20 to 22 minutes", I would suggest baking for "about 22 minutes or at least until the top of the cake is bouncy to the touch". Nevertheless, the cake tasted very good and my husband's colleagues raved about it. (I had to make another cake for my guests, as this one looked unpresentable...) I will try it again, for sure.
Excellent cake! The coconut mixture really makes a tasty topping... I like that the cake was airy, and not as dense as many egg-free cakes tend to be. This is definitely a keeper!