Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
The ultimate comfort food. Cook time and servings are approximate.
Make and share this Chocolate Cake with Coconut Icing recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- unsweetened cocoa (for dusting pan)
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13 x 9" baking pan, dust with cocoa, tapping out excess.
- Heat butter& chocolate in large sauce pan over medium heat stirring frequently until melted and smooth Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in buttermilk, then eggs.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt& baking powder, whisking until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25- 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Heat broiler.
- Stir remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla into can of sweetened condensed milk; spread over warm cake Sprinkle cake evenly with coconut.
- Place cake under broiler for 2- 3 minutes until coconut is golden.
- Cool cake completely on wire rack.