Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The ultimate comfort food. Cook time and servings are approximate.
Make and share this Chocolate Cake with Coconut Icing recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- unsweetened cocoa (for dusting pan)
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13 x 9" baking pan, dust with cocoa, tapping out excess.
- Heat butter& chocolate in large sauce pan over medium heat stirring frequently until melted and smooth Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in buttermilk, then eggs.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt& baking powder, whisking until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25- 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Heat broiler.
- Stir remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla into can of sweetened condensed milk; spread over warm cake Sprinkle cake evenly with coconut.
- Place cake under broiler for 2- 3 minutes until coconut is golden.
- Cool cake completely on wire rack.