Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a moist, sweet, chocolatey/fudgy cake that a former co-worker of mine used to bake for potlucks at work. She gave me the recipe to me when I left. I'm not sure where she got the recipe from. NOTE: Although the recipe calls for a 16oz jar of Mrs. Richardson's hot fudge, you can of course use a jar of your favorite fudge. I used a jar of Hershey's hot fudge once because it was on sale, but prefer the Mrs. Richardson's one more. Also, this recipe has the cake topped with whipped cream and crushed candy bars, but I've served the cake with just the hot fudge topping, and still got rave reviews (no one minded the holes on the top of the cake).
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxbetty crocker fudge cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (for cake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (for cake mix)
- 3 eggs (for cake mix)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16 ounce) jarmrs. richardson's hot fudge
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip (to top) (optional)
- 2 7⁄8 ounces Skor candy bars (to top, optional) (optional) or 2 7⁄8 ounces Heath candy bars, broken into pieces (to top) (optional)
- Bake cake according to directions.
- Immediately after baking, poke holes all over cake with end of wooden spoon (like aerating your lawn).
- Pour can of condensed milk on top of the cake (filling in the holes as much as possible--I often use a spatula to scrape condensed milk that has gathered at the edge of the pan into the holes).
- Melt jar of hot fudge and pour that over the cake (covering the top of the cake with fudge, but again, filling in the holes as much as possible. I also use a spatula here to scrape hot fudge that has gathered at the edge of the pan into the holes).
- Before serving, top cake with Cool Whip and crushed Score or Heath Bar. (optional, but covers up the holes to make the cake look more presentable).
Oh my gosh, I would give this 10 stars if I could!! There were 5 of us and we devoured the whole cake! I added 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips to the cake mix before baking and omitted the cool whip and candy bars. Also, my store only had Smucker's Hot Fudge and it tasted fine to me. This is undoubtedly the best cake I have ever eaten. Oh yeah, did I mention I don't really like chocolate cake? This went immediately into my permanent cookbook. Thanks Mama Cito95!!