Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
CALLING ALL CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER FREAKS--I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE!!! These are yummy and are kind of like Drake's Funny Bones, especially if you glaze them with a thin chocolate glaze:) I still don't know which way is better to eat these--still slightly warm or chilled. Sometimes, when I REALLY can't make up my mind, I eat them both ways, on the same day!
- 6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I use Reese's or Skippy)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch processed)
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup creamy peanut butter (same as above)
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease and flour 12 standard-size muffin cups (or, line with paper liners); set aside.
- FILLING: Combine the peanut butter and sugar in a small bowl until well blended; set aside.
- CUPCAKES: Combine the cocoa powder and hot water in a cup until smooth; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, cream the butter and peanut butter until light and creamy; slowly blend in the brown sugar.
- Lower the mixer speed to medium; blend in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Blend in the cocoa mixture, then the vanilla; blend well.
- Lower mixer speed to low.
- Blend in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating just until combined.
- Spoon about 2/3 of the batter into the prepared tins.
- Top with equal amounts of filling, then the remaining batter; smooth tops.
- Bake until tops are cracked, edges are springy, and centers are still soft when pressed gently with a fingertip, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in the tins slightly before removing.
- Frost or glaze with your favorite topping.
I made these cupcakes for my son, the peanut butter cup lover, for his birthday. They were so delicious but very, very rich! Definitely have plenty of cold milk ready when you eat these babies!