2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
Another recipe from "To Set Before a Queen", by a former cook for Princess Elizabeth (before she was crowned queen). She says that this was her most popular cake with the royal family, and that she sent it by request to Windsor, Balmoral, and Sandringham, as well as making it for the Queen Mother for her birthday at her request. I made it for my MIL for her birthday one year--it was delicious. The marmalade adds a nice touch to the cake, and the coffee icing is perfect with the rich cake. Times are estimated and don't include time to cool.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (the best quality you can get)
For the icing
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons coffee extract (or instant espresso mixed into 4 T hot water)
- pistachio nut (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 300* F. Grease an 8 or 9-inch cake pan, line bottom with parchment paper, grease paper, and dust with cocoa.
- 2Melt chocolate in a double boiler over barely simmering water. Allow to cool slightly.
- 3Cream butter and sugar together until well mixed and fluffy. Add egg yolks and marmalade. Stir in melted chocolate.
- 4Add flour, baking powder, and ground almonds. Stir to combine.
- 5Whip egg whites until stiff. Fold into cake batter.
- 6Pour into prepared pan and bake in a slow oven (about 300* F, 150* C, or gas mark 2) for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 7Cool for a few minutes in pan, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- 8While cake cools, make icing. Cream all ingredients together. Warm slightly to facilitate spreading, if needed.
- 9When cake is completely cool, slice in half crosswise to make 2 layers. Fill and ice top with the icing.
- 10If desired, decorate with pistachios.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cake Made With Orange Marmalade
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 751.5
- Calories from Fat 374
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.1 g
- Cholesterol 223.7 mg
- Sodium 188.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 58.8 g
- Protein 9.0 g