Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From NYTimes.com. Originally published with DE GUSTIBUS; The Hunt for Sweet, Low-Fat Chocolate By TRISH HALL, November 6, 1991
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325 degrees. Brush the inside of an 8-inch square cake pan with oil and sprinkle flour over the pan. Tap out excess.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, oil and vanilla. Stir lemon juice into milk. Add to the egg mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup hot water. Pour into the cocoa mixture and stir until smooth. Turn batter into pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. YIELD 12 servings.