Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This makes great gift.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, plus
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups white flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Prewash 8 pint-sized wide mouth canning jars (be sure to use the kind that have no shoulders) in hot, soapy water.
- Rinse well, dry and let them come to room temperature.
- Grease insides of jar well.
- Beat together butter and half of sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and remaining sugar, vanilla and applesauce.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to the applesauce mixture a little at a time: beat well after each addition.
- Pour one cup of batter into each jar and carefully remove any batter from the rims.
- Place jars in a preheated 325-degree oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- While cakes are baking, bring a saucepan of water to a boil and carefully add jar lids.
- Remove pan from heat and keep lids hot until ready to use.
- When the cakes have finished baking, remove jars from oven.
- Make sure jar rims are clean.
- Place lids on jars, and screw rings on tightly.
- Cakes will slide right out when ready to serve.
- Jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 weeks or frozen for longer storage.