Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made this today and was thrilled with the result. The sauce also goes well with vanilla ice-cream. This is the only sponge recipe I've tried that actually rises.
- 226.79 g butter, completely melted
- 226.79 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 170.09 g self-raising flour
- 56.69 g cocoa powder
- 59.16 ml strawberry jam
- 14.79 ml boiling water
- 14.79 ml cocoa powder
- 59.16 ml golden syrup
- 14.79 ml icing sugar
- Cream the butter and caster sugar until white and fluffy.
- Beat each egg individually into the mix.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder together and fold in gently.
- Line two 9" cake tins with greaseproof paper and evenly pour the mixture into both.
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 5/190°C/375°F and cook for 25 minutes.
- Turn the tins after 15 minutes so that the cakes rise evenly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For the sauce mix the boiling water and cocoa powder together in a saucepan.
- Add the golden syrup and icing sugar.
- Bring to the boil stirring so as not to burn the sugar.
- Allow to cool, it will thicken as it cools.
- Cover one cake sandwich with the strawberry jam and place the other on top.
- Cover with the chocolate sauce.
This was really easy and very good! I didn't have strawberry jam, so I used mixed berry, and served this warm with a dollop of whipped cream. Thank you!
VERY GOOD CAKE. The strawberry jam adds a wonderful touch. I shared this with the bank on our first floor and the also loved it and requested another. THANKS FOR SHARING!