1 hr 3 mins
Make certain that all ingredients are at room temperature before starting. These doughnuts are great with chocolate glaze also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1All ingredients should be at room temperature (about 70 degrees F).
- 2Beat the sugar and eggs together until creamy and lemon colored.
- 3Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small saucepan over low heat; beat into the sugar/egg mixture.
- 4In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and vanilla; stir into the sugar/egg mixture.
- 5Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; stir into the liquid mixture, mix until well combined.
- 6Chill the dough in the refrigerator to make it easier to handle.
- 7On a lightly-floured board, roll out half of the dough to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- 8Cut into doughnuts; allow the cut doughnuts to dry for 10 minutes.
- 9In a large heavy skillet, heat 2-inches of oil to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- 10The dough should be at room temperature before frying (this is important!) Transfer the doughnuts to the hot skillet, one doughnut about each 15 seconds, (dip a metal pancake turner into the hot oil each time before using it to remove or turn a doughnut) Fry each doughnut about 90 seconds per side.
- 11Remove the doughnuts, and drain on paper towels.
- 12Repeat with remaining dough.
- 13To make the icing/glaze: Beat the powdered sugar with the egg white and vanilla together until smooth.
- 14Drizzle onto the doughnuts after they have been cooled.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cake Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (1403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.8
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 18.5 mg
- Sodium 131.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 2.7 g