Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 mins
Make certain that all ingredients are at room temperature before starting. These doughnuts are great with chocolate glaze also.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- All ingredients should be at room temperature (about 70 degrees F).
- Beat the sugar and eggs together until creamy and lemon colored.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small saucepan over low heat; beat into the sugar/egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and vanilla; stir into the sugar/egg mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; stir into the liquid mixture, mix until well combined.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator to make it easier to handle.
- On a lightly-floured board, roll out half of the dough to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut into doughnuts; allow the cut doughnuts to dry for 10 minutes.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 2-inches of oil to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- The dough should be at room temperature before frying (this is important!) Transfer the doughnuts to the hot skillet, one doughnut about each 15 seconds, (dip a metal pancake turner into the hot oil each time before using it to remove or turn a doughnut) Fry each doughnut about 90 seconds per side.
- Remove the doughnuts, and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- To make the icing/glaze: Beat the powdered sugar with the egg white and vanilla together until smooth.
- Drizzle onto the doughnuts after they have been cooled.