Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
You don't have to give up chocolate cake just because you can't have dairy
- 2⁄3 cup vegan margarine
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- Place first 4 ingredients in mixing bowl and beat for 3 minutes on high.
- Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with water to creamed mixture.
- Pour into 2 greased and cocoa powdered 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes at 350°F.
- Let cakes cool for 10 minutes, invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost, glaze or dust with confectioners' sugar.
This worked great as cupcakes too. Just shorten cooking time depending on the size of your muffin tins. When tops are no longer sticky and a toothpick comes out clean, they're done. Now I can have a happy birthday.
omg so GOOD! i loved it being a new member i dont find many good recipes and my room-mates love chocalate cake but cant have any dairy products! so what do i do? what i did was found a great recipe thanks and yum!
Thank you, Chelle_N! This recipe was perfect. I made it for my daughter's 2nd birthday yesterday. I baked it for 35 minutes and it turned out perfectly baked and moist throughout. Topped it with a milk-free chocolate fudge frosting. It was the best dairy-free birthday cake we've had so far! By the way, I loved the idea of dusting the cake pans with cocoa powder - it worked very well and left none of the white powder mess that I usually have with flour.