Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is almost like a giant chocolate truffle... You could change the flavoring by using another flavoring instead of the almond liqueur. You should try it!
- 1 lb chocolate cake
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup almond liqueur
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped and drained maraschino cherries
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Thinly slice pound cake, diagonally cut each piece in half.
- Line 1 ½ quart bowl with plastic wrap or strips of waxed paper, then line with cake pieces, trimming as necessary to line bowl completely.
- Sprinkle cake with liqueur.
- Set aside remaining cake pieces.
- Whip the cream with sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Fold melted chocolate into half of the whipped cream and spoon mixture into cake-like bowl.
- Fold pecans and cherries into remaining whipped cream, spoon into bowl over chocolate mixture.
- Cover completely with remaining cake pieces.
- Freeze until firm about 4 hours.
- In saucepan, melt 3 squares chocolate with the butter over very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Invert frozen cake onto serving plate.
- Remove plastic wrap and spread chocolate evenly over cake.
- Freeze about 10 minutes or until chocolate is firm.