Recipe by cuisinebymae
This is a very old recipe. We like it unfrosted, but it could also be baked in 2 (8") round pans and frosted. Very moist.
Top Review by browniepie
I made this cake for my husband's birthday today. I thought the batter was a little thick so I added about 2 tbs. of milk and threw in a handful of chocolate chips just for fun! My cake took longer than 25 min...not sure how long, maybe 35-40. It's probably our old oven though. I thought this was a nice lighter cake, not too rich and not too sweet.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Dissolve baking soda in the hot water.
- Stir into the creamed mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with cold water.
- Beat well after each addition.
- (I make 5"dumps":dry- water- dry- water- dry).
- Bake in a greased and floured 13" X 9" X 2" pan for 20-25 minutes at 350F.