This is a very old recipe. We like it unfrosted, but it could also be baked in 2 (8") round pans and frosted. Very moist.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt.
- 2Cream shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- 3Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 4Stir in the vanilla.
- 5Dissolve baking soda in the hot water.
- 6Stir into the creamed mixture.
- 7Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with cold water.
- 8Beat well after each addition.
- 9(I make 5"dumps":dry- water- dry- water- dry).
- 10Bake in a greased and floured 13" X 9" X 2" pan for 20-25 minutes at 350F.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3557.2
- Calories from Fat 1108
- Total Fat 123.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.7 g
- Cholesterol 558.0 mg
- Sodium 2650.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 566.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 351.0 g
- Protein 52.6 g