Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a very old recipe. We like it unfrosted, but it could also be baked in 2 (8") round pans and frosted. Very moist.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Dissolve baking soda in the hot water.
- Stir into the creamed mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with cold water.
- Beat well after each addition.
- (I make 5"dumps":dry- water- dry- water- dry).
- Bake in a greased and floured 13" X 9" X 2" pan for 20-25 minutes at 350F.
I made this cake for my husband's birthday today. I thought the batter was a little thick so I added about 2 tbs. of milk and threw in a handful of chocolate chips just for fun! My cake took longer than 25 min...not sure how long, maybe 35-40. It's probably our old oven though. I thought this was a nice lighter cake, not too rich and not too sweet.
I really liked this cake. I think I baked it just a little too long, mine was a bit dry. I added maybe a quarter cup of extra cocoa, used two 8" rounds, and used this frosting: http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-frosting-348737
It really was good.
simple n easy n very moist