Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
A rich chocolate cake with a crunchy glaze.
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 300 g dark chocolate
- 300 ml double cream
- 200 ml water
- 5 tablespoons sugar (1 tsp cognac)
- 300 granulated sugar
- 150 ml water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- Separate the eggs then mix the egg yolks with the sugar, oil and water until it doubles in volume and becomes whiter.
- In a bowl mix the flour, cocoa and baking powder then fold it in with the egg yolks.
- Mix the egg whites until stiff and fluffy then add it to the yolk mixture and fold them gently from top to bottom.
- Line a baking tray (30X20) with grease proof paper and pour in the chocolate mixture. Bake at 180C/gas mark 4 for 30-35 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean after you stick it in the middle of the cake.
- When the sponge is done lift it out of the tray and put it aside to cool.
- When it has cooled down completely, cut it in half, lift the top and put it aside.
- Put a sauce pan on a low heat with the water, sugar and cognac and let it simmer until the sugar has melted. With a spoon drip the syrup on the sponge until it is moist.
- Melt the chocolate with the double cream. When melted take it off the heat and leave it to cool down, then mix the chocolate cream until fluffy.
- Spread the cream on the bottom part of the cake then put the other part on top. Keep a bit of cream for decorating.
- First put a bowl or pan in the fridge (I used a glass bowl) then in a sauce pan put the water and pour the sugar in the middle. Let it simmer for 12-15 minutes until you get a glossy syrup. To check if it is done get a glass with cold water and drip a few drops of the syrup and if it forms little bubbles on the bottom of the glass then it is done. Add the honey and take it off the heat.
- Pour the syrup into the cold bowl and mix until it becomes stiff and it turns white.
- After you've put the cake together cut it into squares. Put the bowl with the glaze in a pan with water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Add 1-2 tbsp of cold water to the glaze and mix everything together until you get a creamy texture, then add the cocoa. Put one tbsp of glazing on each square then pipe a bit of cream on top.