Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This cake is very moist and extremely easy to make.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water or 1 cup coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Measure all ingredients into mixing bowl.
- Blend with electric mixer, beginning on low setting, and increasing speed until batter is of smooth consistency.
- Pour into greased and floured cake pan (s) (1 9x13 or 3 small layer).
- Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick tests clean.
- Frost with your favorite frosting when cool.
Was looking through the newest recipes as I wanted a lunch box filler. Loved the sound of this as it was super easy. I used 2 round 9" pans and it took just over 30 minutes. Used a butter icing. Has turned out lovely and moist. Thanks for posting. =)
Awesome! Its main features have to be its simplicity in preparation and its extremely moist chocolittyness!! I added 1/2 cup of Nestlés dark chocolate melts ( the big flat ones)to the mixture just for the effect. I was a bit dubious about making it at first as it had no baking powder in it and I was expecting a heavy cake. But no, I made the buttermilk (information gleaned from the link, as I had never heard of buttermilk. I thought buttermilk was something only found in sun-tan lotion), resisted the urge to pour in half a bottle of Tropical Blend tanning oil as a possible substitute, and went ahead. So glad I did!! It is YUM plus!!
To: Cindy Lynn This cake is absolutely fantastic!!! Big, moist, and just plain tasty! Followed your directions and it turned out super. Very, very easy to put together. Baked it in a 9" x 13" pan and topped it with my favorite chocolate fudge icing. YUMMY! Thanks so much for sharing. Laudee C. Colorado