- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (fine quality, melted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and parchment line two 8x2-inch (20x5-cm) baking pans.
- Measure all ingredients (except the chocolate) into a large mixer bowl.
- Blend for 30 seconds on LOW speed, scraping bowl constantly.
- Blend in the melted chocolate and beat 3 minutes on HIGH speed, scraping the bowl.
- Spoon into the pans and level them well with an offset spatula.
- Bake layers for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.