Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Got this recipe from a coworker.
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa, plus
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, for dusting
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the cake batter:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter one 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Butter the parchment paper and dust the pan with 1 tablespoon cocoa.
- Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and set aside.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, melt 6 ounces chocolate and the butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer set on medium high, beat the eggs and sugars until the mixture thickens and increases in volume-about 5 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, add the chocolate mixture and the vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center-30 to 40 minutes.
- Make the glaze: Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto the wire rack, remove the parchment paper, and cool completely. Transfer cake to a serving dish.
- Melt the remaining bittersweet chocolate and drizzle over the top of the cake.