Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
First made on 6/5/02 for my best friend's birthday. Very chocolatey and tastes very good!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oven to 350°F Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans and set them aside.
- In a microwave-safe, liquid measuring cup, measure 1 1/2 cups water.
- Add the unsweetened chocolate squares to the water.
- Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring after 1 1/2 minutes or until the chocolate has melted.
- Stir in the cocoa and set the mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter for 1 minute, add the granulated and brown sugars, and cream for another 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs individually, beating well after each one.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Beginning with about a third of the flour mixture, add the flour mixture and the chocolate mixture alternately to the butter, stirring well after each addition.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the two pans, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Place the pans on the middle oven rack and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
I cut this recipe down by 3 because i only need a sample. I've been looking for the perfect chocolate cake for my mini cakes and I've found it!! its moist, great as a sheet cake, doesn't fall apart either which is really good for doing layers. I didn't have unsweetened block chocolate so i just increased the cocoa powder, everything else stayed the same.