Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Brownie on top, hot fudge sauce on the bottom. Serve with vanilla ice cream!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butterscotch chips (can use peanut butter, white, cinnamon, or other flavor chip you like)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350; butter 9 inch round or square pan.
- Blend the flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in butterscotch chips.
- In a small bowl, blend milk, oil, vanilla.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and spread evenly.
- Blend together remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Sprinkle over the cake batter.
- Pour hot water over the surface of batter, DO NOT STIR.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until top is dry.
If you are a lover of chocolate and have a sweet tooth, then this cake is for you, this cake has extreme chocolate flavor, my son's chocolate-loving GF really enjoyed this, thanks Kel!...Kitten:)
It was quite ordinary. The taste of baking powder was predominant.
I've never made a pudding cake before, and boy howdy, are they good! This turned out very well, and we served with vanilla ice cream- yum. I used white chocolate chips, which I think may have been too mild- I didn't really even notice their flavor in the recipe. I am wondering if Chia, in her picture, didn't sprinkle the chips on top with the cocoa/sugar mixture- mine stayed in the bottom layer instead of peeking through as pictured. I am wondering if you couldn't substitute the boiling water for hot coffee for a mocha flavored pudding cake. Next time I might reduce the sugar a tad, but that's just personal taste. I know that anyone reading this review is going to think I'm nuts, trying to make a recipe like this healthy, but I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of the white- I don't buy white flour anymore. I also used Sucanat for part of the brown sugar. Anyhow, this was really yummy- satisfied my gooey chocolate craving I've been having (and not fufilling!) for a couple weeks. Thanks for the recipe.