Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you do not have (or cannot find) chocolate extract, vanilla extract can be substituted. One could even play with other flavored extracts for a new taste sensation :)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs or 2 1⁄2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons chocolate extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated (or finely chopped)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs, melted butter, and chocolate extract.
- Press into bottom of lightly greased 13x9 pan.
- Sprinkle with coconut, grated chocolate, and butterscotch chips. Pour the condensed milk over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees on center rack for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pecans over the top and continue baking for 5-10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into 24 bars.
I did a small batch of these, I only had a 125g pkt vanilla wafers which equaled just a little less than half the required amount. I had chocolate extract in the cupboard, I think this is the first time I've used it. I made half the amount of topping but it was too much so I have some leftover. This is a good "sweet-tooth" recipe. I got about 15 small squares for my amount of mixture. made for ZWT 4.
Almost anything chocolate I can find in my kitchen, so chocolate extract was not a problem! Followed your recipe right on down, & within an hour of cooling & cutting these buggers, they were ALL GONE! Great tasting & easy to put together! Thanks much! [Made & reviewed as a tagged bonus recipe in AUS/NZ Recipe Swap #14, Mar 08]