Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe that my daughter Jessica and I came up with. Our family LOVES them, it is one of our favorite muffins.
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry until BARELY moistened (batter will be thick).
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill (not 2/3 full. Almost completely) greased or paper lined muffin cups with batter.
- Bake at 425 for 8 minute.
- Lower oven temp to 325 and bake for additional 12-17 minute or until tops are firm and muffins are done.
- Cool on wire racks immediately.
The muffins were tasty, but I only got about 16 muffins from this recipe. Maybe my muffin cups were a bit larger than hers were. However, my family was disappointed with the muffins lack of moistness. I noticed in looking at other recipes these have quite a bit more flour than others. I am still experimenting with other chocolate buttermilk muffin recipes to find a good one. Just wanted to share. Maybe cutting back on the flour or increase the buttermilk to add to the moistness?