Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A yummy treat for all ages
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 6 ounces weight unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, Softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, Firmly Packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, Softened
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon green food coloring
- Preparation Instructions.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Prepare two 12-count cupcake pans by lining them with paper liners.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler (with simmering water in the bottom part of the double boiler), stirring occasionally. Once it’s smooth remove the bowl from the heat, and let chocolate cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together flour and baking soda, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add the sour cream then mix in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add buttermilk, vanilla extract and melted chocolate and mix to thoroughly combine. Add the dry ingredients in thirds, mixing well after each addition.
- Using a medium sized ice cream scoop fill prepared pans with one full scoop each. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove pan from the oven and set on a rack to cool.
- For the buttercream:.
- In the clean bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat together butter, powdered sugar, shortening, milk and vanilla. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add food coloring as desired and mix until color is consistent throughout.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.